Re: Is there a limitation on swap parition size linux can use?

Walter Tautz <wtautz@math.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> I heard that 2Gb is the limit. If so I would have
> to create distinct swap partitions if I wanted to
> have more than 2Gb swap? Just wondering...

The older blends of kernels only allowed swap partitions up to 128MB.
The newer kernels allow 2GB per swap partiton or file.

Nobody said you can only have one partition. :)

In fact its faster to spread the swap over several disks, having a
small partition on each all with the same priority. Linux will then
automatically "raid0" them for greater speed.

If you need even more swap than 2GB per disk you can have multiple
swap partitions or files on one disk. But then better keep them at
different priorities (default) so they don't get used in parallel.

MfG
        Goswin