Re: Should we customize apps for a common "debian-look"?

On 08/30/2002 10:34:18 AM Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
>> > If I like the look of ratpoison, and someone themes it to look like
W95,
>> > I'm not going to like it when I'm "surprised" with Debian's themed
version.
>> so maybe debconf should ask (when installing windowmanager) which theme
>> do you like - original from wm, or this debian theme ?

That is an excellent idea.
However, a new can of worms opens.

If you thought vi vs emacs was a good flame-fest, how will we come up with
an "artistic standard" that all will agree to?
Redhat has it easy, boss says "either you like the theme I pick or you find
new job"

I predict this will get just about as far as requiring emacs to start up in
VI emulation mode, "to make it more consistent for the users".

For example:
I can't stand KDE's "redmond" theme, and I'm quite a fan of the B-II window
decorations and the QT-SGI style.
Then again, I'm weird enough to keep my panel on the right side of the
screen (next to my konsole scrollbars) which has the annoying side effect
of making all the "ticks" on the K menu point the wrong direction when I
open the K menu.  And I like running xplanet -sun in the root.