Re: Should we customize apps for a common "debian-look"?

>  No, seriously, it would be less confusing for novice users.  More
>  experienced ones already know how to change themes and perhaps make
>  everything look consistent, but it's a considerable ammount of work.

Especially since KDE asks at the beginning which style they want to use
anyway... If we add a Debian Theme that is the default selection, users
accustomed to KDE could always select the KDE default look at the first
login...
(But i HATE that druid of KDE... why do i have to select the language
and keyboard again? my admin already configured these...)

>  are things which are visibly different.  If they like the KDE XP-like
>  eye candy, then get someone to make a matching engine for GTK+.
>  Personally it makes me puke... I have this prejudice that a desktop
>  that I'm going to be looking at 8 hours a day has to make a very well
>  reasoned use of color and contrast.

Yep, the only useable KDE Themes i know are the "light" ones ;)
I prefer Gnome2 for the very same reasons, that it hasn't got much eye
candy (except icons with nice shadows ;)

>  > It could be as simple things as using the debian color
>
>  that reddish tone?  Please no; it's a very nice color, but I don't
>  think people want to look at it for more than 5 seconds at a time.

Yep, it's a major drawback we don't have a discrete color - well, ok,
that SuSE Green would be even uglier, but i remember having seen KDE
Themes using that very color ;)

Thats why i considered it for highlight uses only. Marking text with
that ugly color is ok imho ;)

Any better suggestion? I'd like to use dark red, but red is... redhat?
Well, their screenshots doesn't suggest they use it for themes though...

* Maybe we should put out a call for Artwork?

Greetings,
Erich