From: Erich Schubert [mailto:erich@debian.org]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 12:33 PM
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org; debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Cc: marketing@sharpsystems.com; postmaster@sharpsystems.com;
abuse@sharpsystems.com; remove@sharpsystems.com
Subject: Sharp SPAM [marketing@sharpsystems.com: Special Price Offer for
Select Sharp Systems Products]

It appears that Sharp Systems systematically spammed writers to the
Debian-Laptop list, which certainly is an abuse of the debian lists.
(they did not spam the list, so they don't directly violate the
anti-spam rules of debian though) The spam arrived 12. Aug 2002.
I was spammed shortly after posting there about LCD screens, and a few
other posters confirmed my assumption that this resulted to that spam.

The SPAM contained correct headers and was properly addressed,
mailserver was gatekeeperil2.sharpsec.com, which is registered to sharp
as well. It even refers to a probably correct Sharp Freecall number
(although i do not live in the USA, so i can't call it)

I did NOT request any information from Sharp, especially not about LCD
screens (why should i buy an LCD screen in the States, where i have to
pay shipment to Europe, when i've got a 1600x1200 LCD in my non-Sharp
fine notebook?)

It's a shame that a compaby i though once as a major player relies on
such dodgy - and in many countries ILLEGAL - methods of annoying
potential customers. Guess i'll drop them into my filter list, or
wait for them to spam me again, then sue them.

Greetings,
Erich

Well, i hope this public complaint and discredit, which most probably
be kept in the archives on the net for a long time will make them stop
doing such inpolite things and reconsider their marketing strategies...
I also now decided that I won't spend my money on a "Sharp Zaurus".
(I didn't really intend to buy any PDA anyway).

----- Forwarded message from Sharp Systems Marketing
<marketing@sharpsystems.com> -----