Re: Some proposals about the Email-subsystem, was Re: RFC: OpenLDAP and TLS/SSL

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 10:10:24PM -0600, Georg Lehner wrote:
> Hello!
>
> El sáb, 24-08-2002 a las 17:28, Martijn van Oosterhout escribió:
> > > Proposal: By default no MTA will be installed.
> >
> > Umm, this may sound silly, but how will you do local delivery if there is no
> > MTA installed?
>
> Not silly.  MDA's like procmail can do local delivery standalone.
> Obviously no queue needed.

Okay. I'm thinking specifically of cron here.  When it tries to send an
email it spawns /usr/sbin/sendmail to send it. This file will not exist
unless a mail server is installed. procmail is not interface compatable
with sendmail. Similarly MUAs like mutt, programs like at and debconf will
either use that program or connect to port 25.

What I'm saying is that to must have a mail-server install, even if it is
just ssmtp or something like that.

I hope this is clearer.