dpkg should prompt re missing conffiles [was Re: When bind9 reinstalls, no db.root]

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 21:40, Steve Greenland wrote:
> While I'll grant you that "dangerous" is probably not the correct
> adjective, the current behaviour is correct. Debian policy is that
> packages don't override admin modifications to configuration files.
> Removing a file is a modification. End of story.

The problem is not that it doesn't override, which would not be
desirable, but that it doesn't flag a missing conffile during
upgrading.  Deletion of a file should be regarded as a change, and
should merit a question about whether the default package file should be
installed.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord
      so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall
      say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh
      upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and
      they shall not escape."      I Thessalonians 5:2,3