Re: How to get rid of non-free packers?

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:06:50 +0000 (UTC), Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@st.jyu.fi> wrote:

> How about contacting authors of AmigaOS-versions of LHA?
>
> http://lha.warped.com/index.html

I was going to point out that the (de)compression routines had been
written in M68K assembly, but according to
<http://lha.warped.com/History.html> that's no longer the case.

> Maybe they could release those sources under some free licence and then
> somebody could port them to Unix?

May be worth a try. The current maintainer has suggested the
possibility of releasing the source, and since development seems to
have stalled (no new release in 3 years) he may be more open to the
suggestion.

It remains to be seen how easy it is to port code written for a defunct
proprietary (but supposedly ANSI-compliant) compiler on a vaguely
unix-like but non-POSIX OS.

Frank
--
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>