Re: How to get rid of non-free packers?

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

> [snip]

I've been working on an interface to several archive formats.  Currently, I
have .ar, .cpio(binary and compat) and .tar(sysv, gnu, posix).  I've used it
to make a .deb with pure java code, and then install it with dpkg.

I'm currently adding .cab support.

The present implementation is in java, but I plan on porting to perl/python/c
when I get the right amount of features done.

I don't consider a format implemented, until I have both reading and writing
done, AND test cases for it.

The name of this project is Altar(Abstract Library To ARchives).  It's not yet
released.