Re: Possible mass filing of bugs, take #2.1

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:23:29AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On 20-Aug-2002 Josip Rodin wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:14:16AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> >> Rather than mass filing bugs, can you write a lintian check for it
> >> instead?
> > He filed a bug about Upstream Author(s), I fixed it, and then shaleh and
> > others reverted it >:)
> I think we have better things to be nitpicky about.  Besides, lintian tries to
> only enforce policy.

>From an archive management POV, that's probably not good enough:
we need a tool that can run automatic checks over *all* our archive,
whether it's stuff that's definitely wrong or only indicative, whether
it's for policy or just curiousity or whatever.

Things like libdb1 compliance, usage of nice(2), statistics for debhelper
versus debstd usage, are all better collected by lintian.debian.org than
by separate scripts. And we really need to be able to get those sorts
of things in an easy and automated fashion, trying to keep a handle on
the sheer scope of all the software in Debian is difficult, at best.

Cheers,
aj