David D.W. Downey - libpam-pgsql Maintainer/Upstream (Status Update)

Evening ladies and gents,

OK, I know I've been an on again/off again maintainer so far.
Unfortunately, that trend will continue for a bit longer. (even longer
than *I* expected).

I've had quite a few In Real Life problems surface that are demanding
100% of my time at the moment. (I don't even have net access on
consistent basis yet.)

I finally made the move from Susanville, CA USA to Buffalo, NY USA. In
the process of the move, several life altering issues cropped up. First,
it's become necessary for me to start and extremely involved court
process to force the mother of one of my children to recognize paternl
standing. (Long involvedissue where I just found out I had a daughter I
never knew existed. All I'm willing to state on a public forum).

The final issue, however, is of a much larger caliber and could vastly
affect my online status and my work with Debian and libpam-pgsql. (Yes,
I fully recognize and accept that my record for stability has not been
the best so far as it is.)   Those of you that I talk to privately know
I've been having medical problems as of late. Well, the doctors at the
Veterans Hospital have explained why I've been so sick lately. Seems, I
have colon cancer.

I'm not willing to just walk away from Debian, libpam-pgsql, or any
future pacakges I may be graced with the care of. However, until these
two monumental issues in my life both allow me some semblance of mental
equilibrium, and time to concentrate on other issues I find myself
unable to manage.

Anyone out there willing to do NMUs, please do so with my blessings,
with 2 caveats. 1) No drastic changes to the core functionality (aka no
rewrites). Bug fixes for what's on the BTS right now and future security
patches to any popup issues is fine. Several people have written patches
that have not been incorporated and tested, and they've emailed my
consistently about it privately. To them I say, your voice has not gone
unnoticed. Life just has not been dealing a workable hand at the present
time. Your time and effort will be rewarded. 2) No deleting or changing out
of the dependancy of pam-pgsql on mhash/mhash2, as the FreeBSD maintainer has
requested. I'm not opposed to the change *after* much more careful
consideration, and indepth talks between myself and him occur. Not to
mention the required (to me) discourse of such a fundamental change in
the package on the debian-devel list among interested parties.

I'm hoping to be back online within a month or two. I'm also hoping to
be capable of working on these issues and others by then, though I
make no promises at all. (The cancer issue alone decries that
capability). I will be monitoring my email sporatically (even more so
than before, unfortunately), but I will try to answer.

Thanks for understanding folks. I truly do want to help with Debian. I
do believe in the Social Contract and the potential for honest, open
source, high quality software to affect a change for good in man's
technological evolution. I agree and accept that my participation up to
now has been rather spotty. I can only say that I plan to change that,
once I stabilize my life.

--
David D.W. Downey <david-downey@codecastle.com>
Upstream - libpam-pgsql.codecastle.com

"I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees."
		Deloris Clayborn