Re: Help would be appreciated regarding libpng12.so/libpng.so.3

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:07:27 -0500
Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> >  I think Junichi said this is not a recent change.  Apparently we've
> >  been skipping newer upstream releases because of this change.  Our
> >  libpng is 1.2.1, upstream's beta is 1.2.5.  Junichi said fixes are
> >  being actively backported.  That sounds like more work for our people,
> >  which doesn't help us.
>
> I suppose I should look at upstream's changelog, to see when this soname
> change took place.  If it happened 6 months ago, I guess we'll have to
> pay the price for an inactive package maintainer.

It started to happen, according to the CHANGELOG, about 6 months ago.
libpng does not use autoconf/automake, and the upstream has to edit
22 makefiles.

It struck hard, with 1.2.4 release which was meant to be a security fix.

Last maintainer upload was December 2001, and I started seriously looking at
libpng (as a Debian maintainer, looking at new upstream versions) around
July this year.

And yes, we were kinda busy releasing woody at that time in between ...

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer