Re: Notes on current sid and libpng

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 01:23:41AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> libgdk-imlib2 was introduced, to allow png3-linked gdk-imlib, so
> that gtk2.0 applications can link with gdk-imlib.

gtk2.0 applications should be using the gdk-pixbuf included with gtk2.0,
which is already linked against png3.  gdk-imlib1 links against gtk1, and
should use the same ABI everyone else does -- png2.

> It is now possible to build against libgdk-imlib-dev (to link
> against libpng2-dev) and libgdk-imlib-dev (libpng3-dev)

I'm guessing you mean gdk-pixbuf-dev in the first one.

> Christian Marillat decided to recompile libgnome against
> libgdk-imlib2, and libpng3, so some parts of gnome1 are recompiled
> against libpng3.

And more ABI breaking here -- why are we breaking gnome1 compat with others?
Our current gnome transition plan is to move everything to gnome2.  So
why are we changing the ABI of something that is stable and to be
removed/replaced by sarge release (not that I agree with it, but that's the
current plan).

> I think the same kind of thing is happening with libgnutls[45], and libgnomevfs2,
> so I think applications linked with libgnomevfs2 and libgnutls[45], which is many part of
> gnome2, experience some problem.

No, it isn't the case here, as libgnutls4 no longer exists in the archive.

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.