Notes on current sid and libpng

Hi,

In case noone noticed this, and noone posted this, I will post my observation to the list:

libgdk-imlib2 was introduced, to allow png3-linked gdk-imlib, so that gtk2.0 applications
can link with gdk-imlib.

libgdk-imlib-dev accompanies libgdk-imlib2 ( which I think should have been libgdk-imlib2-dev,
but whatever).

libgdk-imlib-dev and libgdk-pixbuf-dev don't depend on libpng2-dev nor libpng3-dev.

It is now possible to build against libpng2-dev and libgdk-imlib-dev

It is now possible to build against libgdk-imlib-dev (to link against libpng2-dev)
and libgdk-imlib-dev (libpng3-dev)

Christian Marillat decided to recompile libgnome against libgdk-imlib2, and libpng3,
so some parts of gnome1 are recompiled against libpng3.

I haven't had time to experiment, but I think there should be some occurrences of
libpng2 and libpng3 being linked at the same time, which we tried to avoid, but
failed.

I think the same kind of thing is happening with libgnutls[45], and libgnomevfs2,
so I think applications linked with libgnomevfs2 and libgnutls[45], which is many part of
gnome2, experience some problem.

Well, this is me summarizing what I think I saw in my reading of debian-devel-changes, and
debian-bugs-dist.

regards,
	junichi

--