Re: chroot administration

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> The US government definitely is allowed to own copyrights.  The restriction
> is on _enforcing_ their copyrights on works of which they are author.

There are two ways to be the owner of a copyright.  First, you can buy
it from someone else (or otherwise get it by transfer).  The US
government can own copyrights this way.

The second way is by writing something.  The US government cannot own
copyrights this way.  But this is not a restriction merely on
enforcement, rather, no copyright at all exists.

As evidence, I cite the following, 17 USC 105:

"Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work
of the United States Government, but the United States Government is
not precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to it
by assignment, bequest, or otherwise."