Re: RFD: Architecture field being retarded? [was: How to specify architectures *not* to be built?]

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 09:59:44PM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> This looks like much more comprehensive and consistent solution than
> what I have come up with. Any plans to make this real?

Numerous good ideas along similar lines have been proposed over the
past X years (where X is such a large number I can't recall what its
value is).

This proposal looks pretty good IMHO, although I haven't read
the fine details yet.

Something like this really needs to get implemented though ASAP,
(the more packages that make it into Debian, the harder it will become),
not just for Hurd, but BSD too.

This proposal would also allow, say bochs, to provide i386 too (although
I think more work might be needed here).

Just one very minor criticism: It would be nice if you could somehow
depend on a particular kernel version, eg 2.4.x or greater. Consider
libc6 for instance, it only works now with new kernel versions. However
that is probably another can of worms that I don't want to get into
here.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>