Re: kernel patch for Cobalt Qube machines

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:52, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:34, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > But it has nothing to do with the kernel patch I'm managing.  I offered
> > to merge the MIPS patch into my package but no-one seemed interested in
> > that idea.
>
> But your mail did not mention that, hence the confusion.

I doubt that there was any confusion among people who posess Cobalt hardware.

> > I do not get viruses because I do not use MS software.
>
> That's not true, you do get viruses but they don't affect you. And
> they don't affect you because apparently nobody bothered to write one
> that works with unix mail software. It's just a matter of time until
> that changes.

By the time that happens I expect to have SE Linux policy written for my
email program so it won't be able to access files other than email files
under my home directory so the damage will be greatly limited.  Also viruses
that rely on certain operations (such as executing programs) would not have
any affect.  A virus would have to insert code into a running mail program to
get anywhere, and even that wouldn't gain it much.

Also one thing on my to-do list is to configure Postfix to rate-limit email
forwarding as well as restrict the From: field.  Then a virus that tries to
use a fake From: field would not be able to do anything, and a virus that
uses the correct From: field would only be able to send one message per 2
minutes (so I could catch it before it does too much damage).