Re: Definite menu code rewrite (update - Jul 23)

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 16:26, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> After some intenstive coding last night (nothing like an empty room
> with no net access or TV - just an air conditioner, a desk and a
> lamp), I now have a reasonable amount of code to convert Debian menu
> entries into .desktop files, complete with a reasonable Categories
> field.

Very cool.

> I'm
> also not entirely sure how to make Emacs recognize that .desktop files
> are UTF-8 encoded

(push '("\\.desktop\\'" . utf-8) auto-coding-alist)

Alternatively, do C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f to visit the file.

Note you need a very recent version of Emacs 21 to do any utf-8 stuff;
and even you only really get unification over latin-*.