Re: you have to tag sif bugs (was: Release-critical Bugreport for July 5, 2002)

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> > > In that case we should check all those bug reports which are made against
> > > sid versions, if they apply against woody. I guess it is reasonable to asume
> > > that if nobody reported a bug against woody and it is a recent one.
> >
> > How would you suppose we should check those bugs?  And, assuming makes an ass
> > out of you and me.
>
> sorry dont understand, what do u mean?

A new bug is filed.  How do you expect us to know what versions of a package
have that bug?  Just assuming that the current version installed on the users
machine is wrong.

The bug system has no concept of versions.  And, such support is a long ways
off(Anthony and I have disccussed it, and, while I don't believe we both have
the same ideas for implementation, we do agree that it's not simple).  There
can be lots of variables into why 'random bug ######' exists, that to have
simple stmts that 'we should check all those bugs' be given, and magically
start having sid/woody tags applied, shows a lack of understanding on the
stater.