Re: should automake1.6 "provide" automake?

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 04:37:47PM +0200, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
> > unfortunately, old scripts using automake 1.5 WON'T WORK with
> > automake 1.6 - so it break everything.
>
> I haven't tested this extensively - but I know of at least one Makefile.am/configure.in
> written for automake 1.5 / autoconf 2.13 which _does_ work with
> automake 1.6 / autoconf 2.50, so this statement can't be true _in
> general_ :-)

The autoconf 2.13 -> 2.50+ thing is more significant than 1.5 to 1.6.  I
will admit that my own scripts for Project: Twilight needed modifications
for autoconf - but only to remove a scary warning that users had no
business having to ponder over regarding acconfig.h, which has been loudly
deprecated.  Consiquently, that project's scripts have been tested by me
personally to work with every allowable combination of autoconf and
automake available in Debian.  It wasn't hard to get them into this state,
either.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>              Goldfish don't bounce

<Palisade> how are we going to pronounce '00 or '01 or '02 and so on?
<Deek> Say goodbye to the nineties, say hello to the naughties. :)