Re: How to get dpkg to remove directories?

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:04:45PM -0000, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> was heard to say:
> In linux.debian.devel, you wrote:
>
> >> Hmm, never seen that, but probably never tried it, either. Wichert, is
> >> dpkg really special casing files under /etc/ that way? (Don't answer, I
> >> guess I need to go read the bugreports.)
> >
> > dpkg has no special casing. The fact that files in /etc should be
> > conffiles is dictated by Debian policy, dpkg just implements the
> > conffile mechanism used.
>
> Hmm.  All my testing shows that dpkg --remove will not remove
> files under /etc even if they're not listed in debian/conffiles.

  The list of conffiles dpkg sees can be found in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/[package].conffiles, or with "dpkg --info foo.deb conffiles"

> I've built packages with no debian/conffiles at all, and when I
> do a remove, files under /etc stay and the others get removed.

  Have you read the documentation for dh_installdeb(1), or did you just
automatically use the dh_make template?

  Daniel

|    "Hah, I can just see a real playsmith puttin' a..a DONKEY in a play!"    |
|      -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_                                 |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/