Re: lintian and copyright file

>> And, sure enough, the package doesn't contain
>> /usr/share/doc/nvrec/copyright. You should install it in debian/rules.
>
> Fixed, once I know where to look (missed it previously). Hm, included it
> seperate -doc package.

according to policy every package must contain a copyright file.

<cut>
13.6 Copyright information

Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its copyright and
distribution license in the file /usr/share/doc/package/copyright. This file
must neither be compressed nor be a symbolic link.
</cut>

When you get a lintian warning you do not understand, try using lintian --info.
Most items have a Reference listed into policy, this one points to 13.6 the
copyright policy.

In the case of GPL apps this copyright needs to state:

who packaged it
where you go it from
who owns the copyright for the software
what is their copyright
a line saying 'see /usr/share/common-copyrights/GPL'.