Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distrib

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:48:08PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 29-May-2002 Erich Schubert wrote:
> > German users can read:
> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-29.05.02-000/

> > which states that Calerda, Connectiva, SuSE and TurboLinux will
> > cooperate in making a new linux distribution together...
> > I wonder why they don't use Debian ;)

> > Original article:
> > http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=720&a=27405,00.asp

> my gut says it will be SuSE with Connectiva's package tools.  TurboLinux brings
> strong Asian i18n support and Caldera, well who knows what caldera brings.
> Maybe extra coders.

A healthy dose of anti-GPL sentiment?

I have a hard time believing that any good will come of this, unless
they intend to still market regionally-branded distros built on top of a
common core.  I can't imagine that making each of their core markets
compete with each other for attention will make for a /better/
product...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer