Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Wed, 29 May 2002 15:42:09 +0200
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis <luca@linuxasylum.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 06:01:46AM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > Note, it won't obsolete use of the shell: some people will always
> > want to do things themselves and won't use such a tool. Also,
> > debconf already exists for doing that job, just as debhelper (and
> > others) exist as an option for building packages.
>
> I didn't mean neither Debconf nor debhelper, which i extensively use
> in my packages.
> I believe that there are some common checks and procedure im most
> packages maintainer scripts, for which it's worthy to make a command.

Ahh, good... so you're saying you have seen all maintainer scripts?

That's great! I imagine it was a lot of work on your part to do all
that reading in the service of enhancing the project. With this kind
of experience, you'll be able to create a very -complete- and also
very versatile and robust set of commands for the common checks and
procedures you make reference to. Especially telling will have been the
inn2 package, all the X packages and others that have significant
complexity so as to show the more interesting ways the checks and
procedures have been performed to date.

If you do make commands out of them, your having looked at them all
will certainly be useful and insiteful. If it weren't for your seeing
them all, you wouldn't be able to see all existing typical commonalities
that are present. Given your augmented viewpoint, surely the commands
you'd create will have usefulness to everyone in the project.

> Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis

-Jim