Re: New dictionaries-common Policy proposal

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 5:19 pm, Steve Langasek wrote:

> But since this says 'english (American English)' rather than 'english',
> and presumably shows up in the list because the user asked to install
> iamerican and knows what that package is, there should not be a problem
> here.  Just as I don't think 'english (British English)' will be
> confusing to users, or that many will find it hard to pick the one they
> want if these two are displayed side-by-side.

Calling American English "english" however makes it appear as if it is the
"default english" or "proper english" and other dialects are somehow
offshoots of that, which is clearly incorrect. Yes, it's not a technical
issue but a political one, and as such it will always be impossible to reach
a complete consensus, but these things are still important. Correctness is
something to be valued.