Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Wed, 29 May 2002 09:05:19 +0200
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis <luca@linuxasylum.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 03:53:28PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > A new tool which does what is desired would eliminate the need to do
> > any bogus shell redirection, or worry about subtle shell
> > incompatibilities. Since modifying 'which' to be able to be quiet
> > could interfere with expected(though obscure) behaviour of 'which',
> > the problem could be solved be creating a new program, named
> > something else, which would be quiet by default.
>
> Why don't we collect the possible list of command that would be
> usefull on package configuration?
> Me and other DD were going to build package collecting this types of
> commands. Most probably we will call it confhelper.

Or you could call it debconf... oops, that name is already taken...

Point being: maybe the functionality belongs to debconf. If that's
the case, it's time for you to talk to joeyh.

However...

There are so many different things done to configure packages,
that it will take you awhile to discover them all. I suggest
maybe that's the first task, and to do it, you will of course
be looking at every postinst and prerm scripts in debian.

(why prerm? you do want to cover package deconfiguration, yes?)

-Jim