Re: Wishlist for woody+1

>           o all other important, big packages that just released
>             or are about to release a major new version

i guess this will improve soon with the dist scheme raphael suggested.
For example i guess that branden could upload xfree 4.2 pretty soon, but
he just refuses to do so until woody is done...

> - don't change *anything else*

bad idea. all the small apps are less important than the ones you
listed, they should be allowed to be changed...
Also you concentrated on desktop only.

> - release 2 months after woody

I don't think gnome2 will be ready by then for end users. I tried one of
the beta snapshots with garnome; it worked and was quite fast - but it
was missing lot's of features i love in gnome 1.4...

> .. so that for the first time, we'll have a 'stable' debian release
> that has somewhat current software, and not 1-2 year old software.

Just calling it "stable" doesn't make it stable.

> For example, abiword in woody is now version 0.99.3+cvs.2002.04.04-1,
> which is buggy as hell, while 1.0.1 has been released!

That's why i think we need the multi level scheme suggested by raphael,
so the maintainer could upload a version he considers "stable enough for
release" there; while maybe already having some newer cvs snapshot in
unstable...

> I know I can just point sources.list to 'unstable', and I do that,
> but it's almost impossible to explain to an outsider why Debian
> releases with so many ancient and/or broken packages.

Just tell them that the "stable" distribution has the goal to be as
stable as possible, and that includes not trying the newest stuff - and
that for people who need the newest stuff, like desktop computers, there
is a different debian release?

Also i suggested in some mail to release two trees, like
Debian 3.0 "woody"
Debian 3.1.20020701 "testing"
Debian 3.0.1 "woody"
Debian 3.1.20020901 "testing"
Debian 3.1.20021101 "testing" (with xfree 4.3?)
Debian 3.2 "woody+1"          (maybe still with xfree 4.2)

where even second components indicate releases to be considered stable;
odd indicate interim releases.

Gruss,
Erich Schubert

--
erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.