Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 09:38, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> If we do provide the ability for users to compile their own CPU optimised
> binaries, then how can it be a bad thing ?

Providing our users with such an ability is, I think, useful.  So, I
wholeheartedly support Junichi's project (even if it's only moral
support :-).

It would seem that we're confusing granting an ability to our users for
the (oft-repeated) call for optimizing the official Debian packages.
The latter proposal is completely inappropriate outside of the narrow
range of options we currently provide (multiple kernel packages,
optional optimized libc, some packages with built-in CPU detection).