Re: Open Antivirus Update script

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 02:38:48PM +0200, Kurt Huwig wrote:
> Matthew Grant schrieb:
> >Hi There!
>
> [...]
>
> >With Virus Scanning stuff and peoples E-mail going to be depending on
> >this, all bugs will have to be elevated to security status, even changes
> >to the base URL for the Updates.
> >
> >Kurt,  could you please confirm that you are not going to change the
> >basic format of the OAV .credo  updates on us, as if it changes too many
> >people's security will be affected.  Keeping us well informed about URL
> >changes would also be a good idea.
>
> Hi all!
>
> There are currently no plans to change the credo format; the ZIP file
> format is well suited for this and future versions as well as the
> digital signatures from jarsigner. I do not know how to check the
> signatures with openssl, so you have to figure this out on your own. The
> signatures are in a file in the subdirectory 'META-INF'.
>
> What will change are new types of signatures to be able to detect more
> sophisticated viruses. So maybe there will be files like
> 'virussignatures.regexp' as well as 'dialer.strings'. Sooner or later
> there will be subdirectories in the Credo-ZIP to sort things a bit.
>
> The basic principle to have a ZIP file with the ending '.credo' in a
> subdirectory 'credo/' should be fine, so you can count on this.

Apologies if this is already taken care of, and I overlooked it --

Is there any easy way of finding out what changes were made in passing
from one credo file to the next?  Background one of the very useful
aspects of McAfee anti-virus is that each release comes with
"New Detections", "New Removals", etc. sections.

Jim Penny