Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:45:30PM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> 1.  0.1 could be released for the Hurd and *BSD and not compromise the
> high standard of the GNU/Linux releases.

Just a tidbit of fact, GNU 0.2, and the GNU Hurd 0.2, were released in 1997.
Subsequent releases where not done, because between having the Hurd code in
CVS and the binary snaphots in Debian, there was little need to rubberstamp
a particular version as 0.3 or whatever.

I am not so interested in the rules for a release, as long as they are
reasonable and predictable, and agreed upon early enough to make it possible
to meet them.  I am hesitant to any requirements that go beyond packaging,
installation and reasonable usability issues (bugs etc), though.  I have
not seen Debian doing serious Linux kernel development to meet a release
requirement before, for example.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de