Re: where do NEW packages go?

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> > A given file should normally be in the same place on every Debian
> > system.  I think this is a principle that everyone can live with.
>
> Explain that to the hurd developers who want them in different places.

So far, there isn't any actual proposal, so let's not fight about
that, OK?

If someone actually proposes to policy to have one and the same
program live in /lib on GNU/Linux, but /libexec on GNU/Hurd, then they
are crazy, and we already know their proposal will be dead in the
water.

It might be convenient for Hurd-specific packages to go ahead and use
libexec, but that's a complex issue, and there's no point in trying to
settle it in advance.  As far as I can tell, there is no good reason
for it, but I might be wrong.

And none of this is really relevant to Debian.  Debian policy tracks
the FHS about these kinds of things.  Of course, we could make special
exceptions, but I think Debian has taken a strong stand--rightly
so--in favor of tracking FHS even when many might think it's
suboptimal.

Thomas