Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 07:57:37PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > >
> > > It indeed helps us with that. But we want it to make a real operating
> > > system for general use.
> >
> > You want to make the GNU system a real operating system for general
> > use. Debian already is a real operating system for general use, so you
> > can't *make* it that way.
>
> Debian is a distribution.

Debian is an OS.

When I install Debian(be it Linux/alpha, Linux/s390, FreeBSD/arm), I want to
know it functions like Debian, with all of it's filesystem layouts and
interface programs.

If Debian Linux/alpha, Debian FreeBSD/arm, and Debian hurd-i386 are all
different, then what is the point of Debian?