Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:00:05PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 10:38:57PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> was heard to say:
> > Anyhow, I'm just get told on #debian-devel that the Hurd should be
> > ported to Debian instead and Debian shouldn't change. They say policy
> > is more important than ABI compatibility with existing systems. I wish
> > the BSD people a lot of luck, I'm happy to be out of here.
>
>   You didn't answer me on IRC and maybe you won't see this message, but:

Sorry then, it's just that too many messages came to me and people
where trying to make the point that I should go away, so I
parted. It's not that I must give my opinion, I just think there is a
possibility it's useful.

>   What existing Hurd distributions might Debian GNU/Hurd be incompatible
> with, and what causes the incompatibility?  As far as I know there is no
> real usable Hurd system apart from Debian.

The GNU system, commonly found in the gnu-0.2 directory. But that
isn't a problem, we also have a *BSD system in Debian. We have to be
compatible with that and libexec is part of the BSD ABI because the
loader is located in libexec.

For the nitpickers: FreeBSD kernel is already ITP'd, but of course
it's not an existing port yet due to Debian bureaucracy. It's also not
a released architecture, so some people here think you should give a
damn fuck about it then, but I disagree.

CC me please as I'm not subscribed any longer.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org