Re: Woody / Stable

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 09:53:54PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 18:56, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > "When it's ready". When there's more precise information it'll be made
> > available. The fact that no information has been made announced should
> > be taken as an indication that there's none to give.
>
> Unfortunately, it could equally well be taken as an indication that the
> relevant developers are too busy trying to earn enough money to get
> through the next month, or have fallen off a cliff and been taken to
> hospital for 6 months, or even have lost interest in the release because
> too many people are asking when it is going to happen.

I think one of the reasons that these possibilities spring so easily to
mind is that those of us who've been trying to squash RC bugs for the
last n months have occasionally had to deal with people who *have*
apparently been too busy, fallen off a cliff, or lost interest. After
all, that's one of the reasons why Anthony instituted the Hunting Season
on bugs, isn't it?

A lot of us have got somewhat used to people in Debian vanishing and not
giving information about what's going on. While I don't mean to imply
that the release team has done this (a brief look at katie's CVS shows a
good deal of work going on, for instance), I'd like to second the
comment that the occasional short ping reply is useful for peace of mind
and the quelling of flames - even if it doesn't necessarily convey much
in the way of information.