Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> "Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > If you cannot agree to that, and do notice I never said we shouldn't
> > change a few things on the way the filesystem is currently laid out in
> > the Debian GNU/Linux side of things (FHS or no FHS), then you will be in
> > for a very rough ride.
> >
> And if Debian is commited to the LINUX Standards Base, do you expect
> Debian GNU/hurd and Debian *bsd(s) to also comply to the LINUX Standards
> Base ?

No.  For one, glibc versioning is different AFAIK.  *Unless* the other
kernels are supposed to be running linux binaries, instead of native
binaries for a large section of the archive (due to space constraints, or
whatever); if that's the case, then yes, they would be expected to follow
the LSB in their linux emulation layer.

> To be practical we have to respect each others differences, to a certain
> extent anyway.

Sure. But do notice that this means we must agree on a common filesystem
layout for everything that is not kernel-specific.  Massive filesystem
changes simply will never be agreed upon, so only a minimal approach has
much better chances of success.

> I think Hurd people are getting a rough ride, but their strugle is making
> debian better, i applaud their stamina.

They would get a lot less flack if they tried to start these threads just
after the woody release, when people will be in a mood to listen to big
changes.

> > I will love the day I can simply switch kernels on a Debian GNU/* system
> > and not notice any changes in userlevel land, other than the tools that
>
> Ive never even considered that it might be possible, i would also love to
> see that day.

It should, for some of the BSDs at least. I don't know about the Hurd.

  Henrique Holschuh