Re: httpd on install cd

On 16-May-02, 04:15 (CDT), Michael Welle <m.welle@gmx.net> wrote:
> Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:
> > On 15-May-02, 15:33 (CDT), Michael Welle <m.welle@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> Good point. Perl seems to be on every unix machine. Windos? VMS?
> >
> > "Every unix machine"? Not even close. The major vendors (Sun, IBM, HP)
> > don't install perl as a part of the standard setup. Hell, as of Solaris
> > 2.8 (aka Solaris 8), /bin/sh still isn't POSIX.
> you are right. But has not every admin the sugd cds installed? Or use an
> otherwise gnuified system?

In a word, "no". In some environments, yes, it's pretty common. In
others, no. It depends (mostly, I think) on the admin's background.

Hell, even I don't have perl/bash/etc. on all the in-house Solaris and
AIX boxes *I* have responsibility for, because the time to do so has not
(so far) outweighed the annoyance.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland