Re: [2002-04-30] Release Status Update

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:26:30AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > Are you (or the security team) able to give us more information about
> > specifically which architectures rbuilder is still needed for?  I can't
> > recall any directed requests for assistance sent to either the port
> > lists I follow or to debian-devel.  I'm interested in making sure both
> > that the ports I depend on will have security updates available, and
> > that other ports have an opportunity to protect their interests as well.
> > While I've heard it bemoaned that the porters aren't stepping forward to
> > get rbuilder in place, no member of the security team that was on IRC
> > when I inquired was able to tell me whether a particular port of
> > interest even had an rbuilder setup.

> I'd be happy to make available my powerpc box as an rbuilder for anyone
> interested. It didn't seem too hard to setup, but I haven't used it
> enough to ensure that I've gotten the kinks out. Of course, voltaire is
> much faster.

> I'd like to know more about the changes being made to the autobuilder
> system, especially since I'm running one.

Members of the Security Team have specifically objected to depending on
any machine for security updates that isn't under the exclusive control
of the Debian System Administration team.  It seems to me that's been a
significant stumbling block in this process, because plenty of people
can offer cycles and network access but can't donate machines outright.
However, since I for one don't know specifically what would need to be
donated, I'm afraid the need won't be met because others who /are/ in a
position to donate don't know, either.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer