Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> the 2.4 kernel provides support for the ext3 journaling filesystem.
> [ XXX That is supported by the 2.4 boot floppies by default, right?
>   Please verify. Also, an other FS's supported by default? reiser? ]

bf2.4 supports ext3 and ReiserFS.

> Thom May wrote:
> > Joey Hess wrote:
> > > CD Images may be downloaded now.
> > > [ XXX should I mention DVD? ]
> >
> > Is it definitely happening?
>
> There are images, I don't know if they'll be official.

Better don't mention DVDs for now. DVD generation has been tested,
generally appears to work, and Attila Nagy now produces DVD snapshots
for testing/unstable. However, I doubt that official DVD images will
be available in time for the woody release. They might well appear
later on though...

Joey: When potato was released, the rush on the CD mirrors was quite a
problem. Could you maybe add a sentence or two about jigdo - it will
provide a better download experience, especially when the CD mirrors
are overloaded. E.g.:

  When fetching CD images over the Internet, consider using the new
  Jigsaw Download (short "jigdo") scheme. With jigdo, you need not
  access one of the few CD mirrors, instead you can retrieve the
  images from your nearest regular Debian mirror.

Cheers,

  Richard (jigdo author, never too polite to plug his program;)

--
  __   _
  ¯ '` ¯