Re: [woody] bug in xfree packages ?

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:20:23AM +0200, Mateusz Papiernik <mati@mati.rm.pl> was heard to say:
> I was installing XFree86 on woody workstaton today,
> and ... I was shocked.
>
> $ apt-get install xfree86

  There is no xfree86 binary package in Debian.  (there are xfree86-common,
etc packages, but no xfree86)

> Unpacking xfree86...
> Configuring xfree86...
> error: debian is not perfect

  Is this exactly what it said? (normal dpkg messages are something like
"Unpacking xfree86 (x.y.z)...")

> What's the hell ? On my workstation i haven't got any problem,
> or when I've got any problems it was "dpkg: dpkg returned error code ..."
> or sth, NOT "debian is not perfect."?! What must I mean about it ?

  I've never heard of that error, and a quick grep does not turn it up
anywhere interesting.  Between this and the note above
about xfree86 not being a binary package, I wonder if someone is
playing a "joke" on you.  What is in /etc/apt/sources.list?  What mirror
did apt download the files from?

  Daniel

|              Will the last person to leave the Universe please              |
|              turn off the lights and close the door?                        |
\-- Does your computer have Super Cow Powers? ------- http://www.debian.org --/