Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 09:21:37PM +0100, Thom May wrote:
> Are you called "the Dutch RMS" because you just ape his pronouncements
> verbatim?

And what are you called, Thom? There are several very uncomplementary
names I can think of . . .

> As many people have pointed out, if we're allocating blame^Wcredit here,
> it should be GNU/Apache/X/Open/MIT/BSD/Others (in no particular order)
> Linux.

www.debian.org reads:

"What is Debian?

Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. [...] Debian
uses the Linux kernel (the core of the operating system), but most of
the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name GNU/Linux."

While there is an argument for the above (but many GNU/Linux systems
have neither X nor Apache installed), Debian has fairly consistently
used GNU/Linux where appropriate. (I.e. other distributions and projects
can name themselves as they will.)

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.