Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:49:29PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:35:42PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > I.e., probably 85% of the crypto we have in woody uses code that's
> > covered by the old-style BSD license.  Not only is the old BSD license
> > GPL-incompatible, the advertising clause also affects us if we do any
> > advertising regarding that references OpenSSL.

> Does this qualify as advertising, though? (I honestly don't know)
> www.openssh.org, for instance, does not have a notice of this kind that I
> can see, but I wouldn't consider it advertising either.

If in doubt, I suggest referring the question to debian-legal or to
SPI's own lawyers.  I'm just passing it on, as I didn't consider it
until it was pointed out to me and I figure being aware of this as a
possible issue would be a good thing given how significant of a feature
crypto-in-main is for Debian 3.0.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer