Re: Quarteryearly reminder (ftpmaster delaying installation)

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:03:35PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Uh, the whole point of ignoring enquiries is that it wastes far less of
> the ignorer's time than responding to them. It'd be nice if this were
> otherwise, but it isn't. Take a look at this thread: Joey Hess gives
> the reason why he wouldn't accept it, and is then followed up by:
>
>         Joel Baker: "I do not think that exclusion by compliance with
>                 unstated FTP Master policy is an acceptable method of
>                 selecting packages."

The only message sent by Mr. Hess prior to mine (http://lists.debian.org/
debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg01891.html) says only that he
doesn't like the idea of the fork, and is glad that the FTP admins "seem
to be leery of it" - and then wishes that they could be more transparent
about it. Please be more careful with your assertions of timeline.

I think that *not* being transparent serves nobody well. The FTP admins
STILL get flamed about it (witness most of this discussion), the uploader
has to spend months of time wondering why nothing is happening, and most
everyone gets annoyed or upset with some other set of people.

Personally, I consider it the height of rudeness to tell someone "You're
not worth taking the time to answer". Those responsible should feel free
to take that as they like.