Re: No LVM in Woody (Was: writing a release announcement)

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 04:24:16PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Matt Zimmerman]
> > New for the server:
> > - volume management systems (LVM, EVMS)
>
> LVM is not included, because lvm-common fails to build on sparc.  See bug
> #143407.  I suggested removing the sparc binaries, but got no response
> from the maintainer. :-(

Even if you had, it is unlikely that the maintainer would have gotten any
response from the ftpmasters anyway.

> If the lvm-common package makes into Woody, the lvm10 package will
> follow.

Yuck.  That means that woody i386 users won't be able to take advantage of
kernel LVM support unless they install packages from unstable.  This is
especially silly because, in my experience, the primary behaviour of the LVM
utilities on sparc is to segfault.

Unfortunately, there are other problems even after applying your patch.  See
the build log that I sent to the BTS just now.

At this point, I suggest uploading an lvm-common which builds a dummy
lvmiopversion on sparc, indicating that it is nonfunctional.  It may be too
late even for that.

[0] http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=&pkg=lvm-common

--
 - mdz