Re: Catching file conflicts

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 04:13, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> However, should it not be possible to implement an automated check to ensure
> that packages do not contain conflicting files without declaring Conflicts
> or Replaces?  We already extract the lists to create the Contents files, no?

I have wondered that. I think it is a real problem for maintainers of
certain packages to keep track of which packages conflict.

Even then, it is only feasible for a limited number of package versions
(eg. packages in potato, but not packages before) and for packages
actually contained in Debian.

However, the other alternative you suggest, requires everyone to
download these huge Contents files as well as these huge Packages files.

Not a good solution...
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>