Re: Woody in six days?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:46:03AM +0100, Will Newton wrote:
> On Thursday 25 Apr 2002 6:29 pm, David Starner wrote:
>
> > WordNet accepts Leibnitz as an appropriate spelling, though other
> > sources I have don't. It's an English/American spelling, probably.
>
> Phonetically a german "z" is equivalent to an english "tz". I suppose someone
> forgot to be consistent about it. :)

Actually, I suspect (without proof) that it was a spelling shift.  There
is a Leibnitz, Austria;
on http://www.km-regensburg.de/projekt/projekt2000/Candide/leibniz.htm
it is spelled both ways;
and it is definately not an anglo/american thing, a google search shows
Leibnitz in french and spanish.

Many European languages had looser spelling rules in the 1700's, as I
recall, there are at least 20 Elizabethan spelling of Shakespeare, for
example.

Jim Penny