Re: linux gpl question

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:46:24PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> i have a question that's stunning us over here. there's someone
> selling a complete firewall appliance atop a linux kernel. he
> advertises it as hardened and as super-secure because he patched the
> kernel here and there, and because he added userland stuff.
>
> now my question: the kernel's gpl, so everything using the kernel
> source must be gpl. that does force this guy to make the source of all
> his kernel tree patches available, unless he provides binary patches
> for the kernel, right? in this case, does he have to let people know
> exactly which patches are applied?

Yes, he has to provide source for all patches to the kernel, except for
the cases where he inserts binary modules that use published Linux
kernel module API (latter is Linux-kernel-specific exception).

> or, can he simply make the kernel source available, but ship it in
> binary only form with his patches applied?

Yes, if the sources are available at first request and at no cost, he
can ship binary-only.

Check this link for more answers:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

--