Re: Can woody-dpkg exclude directory subtrees from being installed?

* Marc Haber <debian-devel.lists.debian.org@marc-haber.de> [020424 21:00]:
> a few months ago, it was discussed if dpkg could be configured to
> leave directory subtrees from being installed. For example, our server
> systems are missing man-db, so the entire /usr/share/man subtree is
> wasted disk space. We could also live without /usr/share/doc on the
> productive machines since we don't read docs there anyway.
>
> symlinking /usr/share/man to /dev/null doesn't seem to work, the
> directory gets recreated on package installation.

I do not know, if it still works, but under slink an solution
is to put these dirs into ro-mounted paritions. ( Maybe the
new dpkg outputs warnings or errors now, I never tried to
install packages with ro-/usr by error again since thain. )

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
"(C)2002 Google - Searching 2,073,418,204 web pages and skipping
4,475,243,576 pages under the DMCA"