Re: Debian in public schools and offices in Extremadura/Spain

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 08:08:27AM +0200, Michael Hummel wrote:
> I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, if not, here are a few
> links I found (bumped into -  rather) date: April 18/19
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51994,00.html

I sent a note to DWN yesterday.

[...]

> At first glance it is not very clear though which modifications they made...

<LinEx developper hat>
>From a technical point of view, this is potato running over a 2.4
kernel with some updated packages and also packages backported from
woody. There have been improvements made regarding the l10n to
Spanish.

The distribution is aimed at the end-user, providing a
fully-functional desktop environment, based on GNOME, with packages
from Ximian.

The requirement was to made a distribution as easy as possible. In
this sense, the installation part is _completely_ automatic (therefore
also depriving users of more advanced features). It detects if there's
en OS already installed, installs itself after it, auto-detects and
auto-configure hardware (network, sound, mouse, ...). The only
question the user is asked is to provide a username and a password.

Applications provided include amongst others: abiword, gnucash,
kpresenter, mozilla, grip, xine, gimp, evolution, nautilus, dia,
lopster, xchat, gaim, i2e, dict, ...
</LinEx developper hat>

Cheers,

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT     "Hay tampones y tampones..." (Eva Serrano)
			Andago