Re: libsafe and Debian installation

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 13:23, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 12:32:54PM -0400, Shaya Potter wrote:
> > Is there any good reason why an install of Debian should not ask the
> > user if they want to install libsafe, and give them reasons why they
> > would want to, and possibly not want to (overhead....)
>
> The Debian installer asks that together with all the other packages an
> user might want to install.

I've been using Debian since 1995 or 96, and back in the olden days
where there were maybe 600 packages, yea, you could say it was possible
for a user to go through every package.  In todays day and age of
multiple thousands of packages in debian if a user doesn't know about a
package, they won't install it as it takes too long to go through each
package (the only way I'm able to stay up to date with everything is by
using aptitude's update,flush mechanism and dpkg --get/set-selections)

I think if we dont put it in the installer, putting it in the
documentation as a "What can you do to increase the security of your
debian system" section with pros and cons for the different things,
would be very useful.

shaya