Re: Adding a Pre-Depends on debconf in console-common?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:37:58AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > It's really ok at all that a preinst depends on debconf?
>
> It's mentioned in debconf-devel(8), so ...

I meant "depends" as in "fails horribly and not gracefully when
debconf is not installed".

> > AFAIK, most packages which use debconf work ok when debconf is not
> > installed.
>
> This one does '. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule' (as do most of them, in
> fact). Unless I miss my guess, that'll return an error when debconf is
> not installed.

In such case I don't see the need for a Pre-Depends.

> Relatively few packages bother to adjust their behaviour depending on
> whether debconf is or isn't installed these days.

Well, those who blindly assume debconf is installed without using a
depends are buggy and should be fixed.