Re: Antigen found =*.pif file

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 11:22:55AM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:

> > > Some MTAs do indeed qualify random unqualified addresses they find
> > > with their own mail domain name.
> >
> > The reason is so the you can type mail <username> and have it end up
> > at the right place. i.e. you don't need to know the mail domain to
> > send a mail to the local user.
>
> In that case, the mail message should *never* leave the local domain.
>
> > They also fix the from address so that if the message is
> > forwarded offsite, the reply still makes it.
>
> Still makes it where? In my case, the message originated in a
> university in the US, but the MTA there didn't add its domain. Then it
> appeared in my mailbox as coming from my ISP's domain, so if I reply to
> it, it'll get nowhere near its original sender.
>
> I agree this *has* to be a bug. Relaying MTAs should not take over
> important mail headers, that's dangerously close to mail forgery...

I don't think that declaring something which complies with RFC 2821/2822
(the core SMTP-based email RFCs) is a good idea. The message should not
have left the remote server without a qualified domain, but this is a bug
in *their* implementation, *not* in the receiving MTA.

Please do more research into the standards before making such a claim next
time. Though it's "free" status may be in question, the doc-rfc package
remains available to Debian. Well, the split version of it does, anyway.